[LINDSAY] — Ontario is taking a giant step towards improving mobile broadband and curing cellular dead zones in eastern Ontario today, as the province announced $71 million in funding. The investment will make people safer and lead to greater economic growth.
“Our government has committed to help people get the broadband and cellular connections they need,” said Monte McNaughton, Minister of Infrastructure. “This is a matter of public safety and economic opportunity.”
About 10 percent of rural eastern Ontario has no mobile broadband connection, leading to dropped calls, missed emergency services and a lack of opportunity.
With today’s announcement, Ontario is committing $71 million to the Eastern Ontario Regional Network’s (EORN) project to virtually eliminate coverage gaps in the region. The public-private initiative requires contributions from the federal government as well private sector and municipal partners. Total estimated value of the project is $213 million.
“Mobile broadband connectivity is essential to the public safety and economic prosperity of HKLB and our entire region. I am thrilled that our government has committed to this critical $71 million investment in our region,” said MPP Scott.
“I’m very excited that this project has been endorsed by the province. People in Eastern Ontario are counting on it,” said City of Kawartha Lakes Mayor and EOWC Chair Andy Letham. “This project will not only make us safer through enhanced emergency response communications, but it’s also a critical link for our business community in order to be competitive.”
To date, the federal government has not committed to funding.
Ontario is hopeful the federal government will commit to funding their share of the project.
“Last week the federal Liberals said the people of Ontario’s priorities were their priorities,” said Minister McNaughton. “Well, this is a huge priority in eastern Ontario. It’s about public safety, economic growth and development and convenience. We are investing in people and building our province’s future.”
With today’s announced support for EORN, the provincial government is fulfilling a commitment to invest in cellular and broadband infrastructure.June 03, 2019
News release from Ross Memorial Hospital:
Ross Memorial Hospital (RMH) is pleased to be one of 128 Ontario hospitals receiving Health Renewal Infrastructure Funding this winter. MPP Laurie Scott visited RMH to make the announcement on February 15, and to tour the areas where the projects are underway.
Ross Memorial Hospital is receiving $400,000 for the following urgent repairs:
· A set of safety doors in the Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) must be replaced to ensure a safe environment for patients, physicians and staff.
· Roof replacement is required on the Obstetrical Unit and the 4th floor skywalk (stretching from the Surgical Unit to the orange elevators and stairwell).
“We’re grateful for the support of the provincial government through this funding program to address these urgent repair projects,” said Veronica Nelson, RMH Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. “Maintaining the integrity of our building is vital to our ability to provide a safe and healthy environment for our patients and staff, every night and day.”
“The health and safety of patients, families, and staff is a top priority for our Government,” said MPP Scott. “We continue to make investments to improve our health care system and work toward ending hallway health care. I am pleased to see that this funding will enable RMH to undertake important repairs to enhance the safety of their facility.”
The Health Infrastructure Renewal Fund (HIRF) assists hospitals in upgrading, improving and maintaining their facilities. Grants through the HIRF supplement hospital needs on a priority basis. This allows hospitals to decide where to invest the money and lets them proceed quickly with projects.February 19, 2019
I am pleased to announce that Shorelines Slots at Kawartha Downs will re-open to the public as of this Wednesday December 19, 2018.
I would like to acknowledge the work done by the provincial government, Ontario Gaming East LP and Kawartha Downs to ensure the re-opening of the slots at Kawartha Downs.
I would also like to thank the loyal customers of Shorelines Slots and the community of Cavan Monaghan for their patience and support throughout this process.
Shorelines Slots looks forward to once again welcoming you at Kawartha Downs.December 17, 2018
Local MPP and Ontario Minister of Labour Laurie Scott has introduced reforms to protect full-time firefighters who also serve as volunteer firefighters (double hatters).
Full-time professional firefighters have risked serious consequences such as fines or dismissal if they also chose to serve as volunteer firefighters. Minister Scott’s reforms, included in last week’s Fall Economic Statement, would eliminate these unfair penalties and empower double hatters to serve their communities without the fear of legal repercussions.
“Local fire departments and municipalities in our riding have been asking for protection for double hatters for a long time, and I’ve been personally advocating on this issue for over fifteen years,” Scott said. “As Minister of Labour I’m thrilled to finally have the opportunity to protect these heroes from unfair punishment and empower them to serve their communities and save lives,” she continued.
The Kawartha Lakes Fire Rescue Service welcomed the reforms to protect double hatters. Fire Chief Mark Pankhurst said, “I support Minister Scott's legislation to protect the freedom of full-time firefighters to volunteer without the fear of fines or job loss. Allowing 'double hatters' will strengthen fire departments across Ontario and reinforce public safety in our community. This is a long overdue change that will benefit the City of Kawartha Lakes."
“We have several double hatters in the Kawartha Lakes, and I'd like to thank our Kawartha Lakes Professional Firefighters and double hatters for always maintaining a respectful working relationship,” Chief Parkhurst added.
Fire departments and chiefs across the province have also reacted positively to the changes introduced by Minister Scott. President of the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs (OAFC) Chief Stephen Hernen said, "We commend the Ford Government for acting on these long-standing issues, and look forward to continuing to work together, protecting our firefighters, and ultimately keeping Ontario's residents safe."
Following Minister Scott’s speech at the OAFC Annual General Meeting last Wednesday, she was named a Honourary Fire Chief for her long-standing advocacy on this file.
On Saturday, Minister Scott met with volunteer firefighters, Haliburton County Fire Chiefs, and municipal officials at the Minden Hills Fire Hall to discuss the changes to protect double hatters in Bill 57. Minden Hills Fire Chief Mike Bekking said, “Fulltime fire firefighters should be able to service their community as volunteers and we welcome the government’s policy change, making it easier to volunteer in smaller communities and finally putting this issue to rest. I feel volunteers should be thanked for their service, not punished”.November 29, 2018
The Government of Ontario is putting more money back in people’s pockets in Haliburton – Kawartha Lakes – Brock by introducing one of the most generous tax cuts for low-income earners in a generation: the Low-Income Individuals and Families Tax Credit (LIFT).
Those who earn $30,000 or less would pay zero provincial personal income tax on their 2019 tax returns. Low-income individuals will save up to $850 per person and couples will save up to $1,700 together.
“This tax break will make a real difference for low-income families and workers in Haliburton – Kawartha Lakes – Brock,” said MPP Scott. “It will put more money in their pockets and help make life more affordable.”
In all, 1.1 million people in Ontario will benefit from this tax relief measure. Individual incomes just over $30,000 a year and family incomes over $60,000 a year will see graduated tax relief, as well.
“I am pleased to see that every single dollar of these savings is going to those who need it the most,” added MPP Scott.
The tax credit will take effect on January 1, 2019.
“In a few short months, our Government has provided more than $2.7 Billion in much-needed tax relief to the people of Ontario,” concluded MPP Scott.November 15, 2018
As part of our Open for Business plan today local MPP Hon. Laurie Scott announced investments to help create jobs and prosperity in rural communities. Nearly one in eight jobs in Ontario is sustained by the agriculture and agri-food sector, which contributes to a healthy economy that benefits rural and urban communities across the province.
Hon. Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton – Kawartha Lakes – Brock made the announcement today at the Abbey Retreat Centre in West Guilford on behalf of Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Ernie Hardeman.
The Abbey Retreat Centre is receiving up to $55,300 in funding through the Rural Economic Development program to complete phase two of their retreat centre project, including a commercial kitchen upgrade, renovations to the lower garage, and training for leadership. Additionally, the Corporation of the Township of Minden Hills will receive up to $33,500 in funding to prepare a Community Improvement Plan that will identify community priorities for revitalization of the historic downtown core. Finally, the Haliburton Highlands Chamber of Commerce and The Corporation of the County of Haliburton will receive up to $5,000.00 to hire a consultant to develop a marketing video.
“Our government is proud to support projects that help to grow jobs and open the doors to economic development in rural communities. Ontario has a first-class agri-food and agriculture sector, and I’m pleased to be able to help our community identify their economic strengths and develop strategies that can attract business and investment.”
- Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton – Kawartha Lakes Brock
“Rural Ontario has been ignored for too long. A strong and vibrant agri-food and agriculture sector is a priority for this government, said Hardeman. “These investments along with our commitment to cut red-tape will help create a strong future for our rural communities by boosting economic growth, creating jobs and ensuring they are great places to live and do business.”
- Ernie Hardeman, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs,
Haliburton County is one of over 80 communities across the province that will benefit from this support by boosting and diversifying the local economy. Eligible projects include such things as developing a downtown revitalization plan or marketing, branding and promotional activities to attract investment to the community.
“Our government is committed to ensuring that rural Ontario is open for business,” said Hardeman.
The project announced today is one of over 80 approved Rural Economic Development projects from across the province, that are helping to create jobs and prosperity i rural and Indigenous communities.
November 09, 2018
Last week, Haliburton – Kawartha Lakes – Brock MPP Hon. Laurie Scott presented much-needed shelter supplies to two local organizations, Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services and Women’s Resources. Each organization was presented with approximately fifty shelter kits, which were generously donated by GlobalMedic, a humanitarian aid organization. The kits include essential personal hygiene products for women.
“I am pleased to present these hygiene kits to Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services and Women’s Resources, on behalf of GlobalMedic. Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services and Women’s Resources are fantastic local organizations that do extremely important work to support vulnerable women in our community. I hope that these supplies will help these organizations continue to support local women in need,” MPP Scott said.
“I would like to thank GlobalMedic for generously donating these kits to Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services. The feminine hygiene kits will be offered to women who have been victimized by crime or suffered through a traumatic event,” said Laura Proctor, the Executive Director of Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services.
“These feminine hygiene kits are a welcome addition to our Emergency Shelter supplies at Women’s Resources, and will go directly to women in need,” remarked Penny Chatson.
Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services works alongside Police and Emergency Services to provide support to victims of crime and tragic circumstances. Kawartha Haliburton Victim Services has volunteers available 24/7 at 1-800-574-4401 to provide crisis assistance to victims. Women’s Resources operates a variety of services for women in need, including an emergency shelter, housing for abused women, and outreach counselling. Women’s Resources operates a 24-hour crisis support line at 1-800-565-5350.October 15, 2018
Statement by MPP Laurie Scott on the Agreement in Principle with Kawartha Downs and Ontario Government
October 10, 2018
The decimation of Ontario’s horse racing industry at the hands of the former Liberal government came to a head when it cancelled the Slots at Racetracks Program, all but guaranteeing the death of horse racing in rural Ontario.
The Doug Ford Government has taken action after hearing repeated, strong opposition against the former Liberal plan.
I take rural issues in this riding very seriously and have been fighting this decision ever since it was made. I am pleased to confirm that an agreement in principle has been reached with Kawartha Downs and our government.
I want to thank the many people involved for working tirelessly to resurrect support for horse racing in rural Ontario. Many hours were spent working out the details, a few more than expected in our case, to ensure that horse racing will continue at Kawartha Downs.
With this agreement in principle in place, Kawartha Downs will be offering horse racing nights as well as slots for years to come.
The previous Liberal government had the slots moving completely out of the building and closing the doors behind the moving trucks.
With this agreement in principle, we now we have 150 slots staying to complement our continued nights at the races, keeping horse racing and jobs going in rural Ontario.October 10, 2018
June 29, 2018
QUEEN'S PARK - Premier Ford and Ontario's new Executive Council were sworn-in this morning, with Laurie Scott, the MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock, being named Minister of Labour.
"I am honoured to be joining Cabinet as the Minister of Labour," said Minister Scott.
“My colleagues and I are looking forward to getting to work for the people of Ontario," she added.
"Thank you to the people of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock for giving me the honour of representing them,” Scott concluded.
June 29, 2018