Ontario Adding New Hospital Beds in Kawartha Lakes

Published on November 03, 2020

LINDSAY ― The Ontario government is providing $116.5 million to create up to 766 more beds at 32 hospitals and alternate health facilities across the province to help reduce surgical backlogs and improve access to care during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Ross Memorial Hospital in Lindsay will be receiving more than $1.1 million in funding to help alleviate hospital capacity pressures and reduce wait times. Over $900,000 of this investment will be used to fund a new 12-bed Geriatric Behaviour Reactivation Unit providing a local solution to stabilize patients while they wait to be transferred to long-term care. The remainder of the funding will used towards an additional bed in the Intensive Care Unit.

“I am thrilled to announce this funding for our local hospital,” said Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton- Kawartha Lakes- Brock. “COVID-19 has presented new challenges for our hospitals and this investment will help people in our community receive the care they deserve right here in Lindsay.”

The new beds announced today are in addition to the previously announced investment included in Ontario’s fall preparedness plan, Keeping Ontarians Safe: Preparing for Future Waves of COVID-19.

“Our government is making the necessary investments to quickly and effectively increase hospital capacity and reduce wait times for patients and families,” said Minister Elliott. “This additional investment will ensure our health care system is able to respond to future waves of COVID-19 and help patients waiting for surgeries and other procedures get the care they need, faster.”

The government is providing $2.8 billion for the COVID-19 fall preparedness plan. It focuses on addressing surges in COVID-19 cases and reducing health service backlogs by:

  • Extending hours for additional priority surgeries and diagnostic imaging;
  • Helping up to 850 alternate level of care patients access proper care in a home or community setting to help free up hospital capacity;
  • Expanding digital health and virtual services, which provide alternatives to in-person care that limit the transmission of COVID-19, while maintaining access to care;
  • Improving access to mental health and addictions services and supports; and
  • Increasing home and community care service by adding 484,000 nursing and therapy visits and 1.4 million personal support worker hours.

The province continues to work with its health sector partners and Ontario Health to develop an integrated health system capacity plan in response to COVID-19 that will help ensure hospitals can continue to provide care for COVID-19 patients and treat patients who have been waiting for surgeries and tests. The province will continue to monitor and assess the health system’s needs and address any challenges hospitals may face.

“This funding will support us in providing safe and highly specialized care for geriatric patients with dementia and related responsive behaviours; and allow us to expand our critical care capacity to 9 ICU beds,” says Kelly Isfan, President and CEO, Ross Memorial Hospital, “We are grateful for this investment in our community.”

Building on Ontario’s Action Plan: Responding to COVID-19, the province’s $30 billion response to the pandemic, the government remains committed to providing necessary resources to protect people’s health and support people, families, workers and business owners. Ontario will release its 2020 Budget and the next phase of Ontario’s Action Plan on November 5, 2020.

QUICK FACTS

  • The Ontario government has provided over $700,000 to Ross Memorial Hospital for capital projects through the Health Infrastructure Renewal Fund as well as a five per cent increase of over $3.7 million in annualized funding.
  • Ontario previously invested $741 million to help clear the backlog of surgeries and build more capacity in the health care system to effectively manage surges and outbreaks in COVID-19 cases.
  • The Ontario government also released A Measured Approach to Planning for Surgeries and Procedures During the COVID-19 Pandemic, a comprehensive framework to help hospitals assess their readiness and begin planning for the gradual resumption of scheduled surgeries and procedures, while maintaining their ability to respond to COVID-19 and the flu season.
  • For additional protection, the Ontario government is encouraging everyone to download the new COVID Alert app on their smart phone from the Apple and Google Play app stores.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Visit Ontario’s website to learn more about how the province continues to protect the people of Ontario from COVID-19.